Drummer, composer, arranger; he started studying percussion in 1976 with Vittorio e Gianni Ferrari, both percussionists at the “Teatro Comunale of Florence” He attended at two editions of Jazz clinics in Siena (1978-1979) studying with Bruno Biriaco and, later in 1988, with Frank Malabe and Peter Zeldman at “Drummers Collective” in New York City.
He starts playing professional since 1980 as freelance with many italian and american musicians: Massimo Urbani, Larry Nocella, Claudio Fasoli, Tiziana Ghiglioni, Pietro Tonolo, Maurizio Giammarco, Harry “sweet” Edison, Al Cohn, Bobby Watzon, Lee Konitz, Kenny Wheeler, Paolo Fresu, Steve Grossman, Dave Holland, Albert Mangelsdorff, Jean “Toots” Thielemans, Bruno Tommaso, Steve Lacy, Jack Walrath, Gary Smulyan, Brian Carrot, Mike Turk, Dave Liebman.
In addition to regular performances in clubs and theaters in Italy, he was present, among others, at the following Festivals:
- ITALIA JAZZ (Firenze) 1982
- LEVERKUSENER JAZZSTAGE (Leverkusen, Germania) with Fabio Morgera 1982
- 14° FESTIVAL INTERNAZIONALE DEL JAZZ of La Spezia with “Streams” quintet 1982
- 4° EURO JAZZ FESTIVAL di Ivrea with “Streams” quintet 1984
- TOSCANA JAZZ POOL (Firenze) wiht Kenny Wheeler and Dave Holland 1985 1986
- 8° FESTIVAL di PARIGI with “Barga Jazz” Big Band 1987
- ITINERARI JAZZ A TRENTO with Albert Mangelsdorff and Kenny Wheeler 1987 1988
- FESTIVAL DI ROCCELLA JONICA with italian tentet lead by Dave Holland 1989
- RASSEGNA DEL JAZZ ITALIANO of “Siena Jazz” with “Libens” quintet 1990
- FESTIVAL JAZZ of Reggio Emilia with “Grey Cat Band” 1991
- FESTIVAL of CLUSONE with “If six was nine” 1993
- FESTIVAL “Jazz Italia” of VERONA with “If six was nine” 1995
- FESTIVAL “Grey Cat” with “If six was nine” 1995
- GRENOBLE JAZZ FESTIVAL with “If six was nine” 1996
- FESTIVAL DI ROCCELLA IONICA with G. O. N. (Grande Orchestra nazionale di Jazz) 1997
- RASSEGNA “INVITO AL JAZZ” Teatro Comunale of Ferrara with Gary Smulian 1998
- RASSEGNA MUSICALE DI S. GIULIANO TERME with Lee Konitz 1999
- FESTIVAL “OEUF DE JAZZ” Le Mans – Francia with “Duke of Abruzzi Big Band” 1999
- Gray Cat Festival with Dave Liebman 2001
- Tradizione in Movimento – Musicus Concentus, Firenze with “Echoes of MJQ” 2002
- FESTA DELLA MUSICA – INSTANBUL with his own group “Rosso Fiorentino” 2002
- VILLA CELIMONTANA JAZZ FESTIVAL – Roma with “Les Italiens” 2002
- FENICE JAZZ Teatro La Fenice, Venezia with “Echoes of MJQ” 2003
- GRAY CAT FESTIVAL with Dave Liebman 2003
- BARGA JAZZ FESTIVAL with Lee Konitz e Barga Jazz Big Band 2003
- BARGA JAZZ FESTIVAL with Giorgio Gaslini 2004
- GRAY CAT and BARGA JAZZ festivals with Kenny Wheeler 2007
- Barga Jazz Festival with Dave Liebman 2008, with Tom Harrell in 2009, with Steve Swallow in 2010
He teaches drums, ensamble classes at the music school of C. A. M. (Florence) from 1983 to 2004; he conducts and write for the student’s Big Band of the same school since 1992. In 1996 he taught “Jazz education” at the Conservatory “A. Casella” in L’Aquila and, from 2003 on, at The in La Spezia. Ensemble Jazz Class for New York University – Florence in 2008.
International Jazz workshop at Meran in 2011 e 2013, drumset, ensemle classes and “rhythm training”
ARRANGEMENT, BIG BAND and COMPOSITION
Since 1983 he has been writing and arranging for some of the groups which he works with. As arranger, he was finalist in “Scrivere in Jazz”, a competition for big band arrangers held in Sassari, Sadegna, Italy in 1992 and in 1994. In 1998 he won first prize in the “Barga Jazz” : a competition for original compositions.
In 1987 begins studying arrangiament with Bruno Tommaso and, later, with Giancarlo Gazzani. Then he approaches classical composition. He regulary writes and arrange for the groups he plays with. From 1984 he plays in different italian Big Bands.
In 1992 he begins to conduct and arrange for the “Duke of Abruzzi student Big Band” The Orchestra also featured important italian and american musicians as guest artists: Paolo Fresu, Maurizio Giammarco, Tiziana Ghiglioni, Mario Raja, Lee Konitz, Eddie Henderson.
In 1999 composes original music for Moliere’s play “Monsieur du Pourceagnac” (produced and directed by Andrea Mugnai).
After attending private instruction in compositions with M° Leonardo Abatangelo, he graduated in “Orchestration for Wind Orchstra” at the Conservatory “G. B. Martini” Bologna with M° Roger Mazzoncini.
In 1993 – 1994 he wrote 11 education articles concerning big band drumming on “Percussioni” , an italian musical magazine with national circulation. In 1996 – 1997 he wrote another series of educational columns.
He contributed to the clinic section on www. jazzitalia. net.
“Minus One” play along CD “JAZZ DRUMS WORKOUT” edited by “Play drums and percussions” – Firenze